This is a unique take on the classic Greek Salad - bringing in eggplant and spinach with a homemade vinaigrette.
- 1 tbsp vinegar red wine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 2 tsp oregano fresh chopped (or 3/4 tsp dried)
- .5 tsp salt
- .25 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant approx. 1.5 lbs, trimmed and cut into .5 inch cubes
- 1 lb spinach stemmed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 english cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- .5 red onion diced
- 2 tbsp greek olives pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp feta cheese crumbled
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 450 F (230 C). Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream until emulsified. Set aside.
- Spread the eggplant cubes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Spray the eggplant with olive oil cooking spray. Roast for 10 minutes. Turn the cubes and roast until softened and lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Set aside and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, cucumber, tomato, onion and cooled eggplant. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss gently to mix well and coat evenly.
- Divide the salad among individual plates. Sprinkle with the olives and feta. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 88
- Sodium: 245 mg
- Total fat: 5 g
- Total carbohydrate: 9 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Dietary fiber: 3 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 2 mg