A healthy take on a classic muffin recipe.
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup buttermilk lowfat
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- .5 tsp baking soda
- .25 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- .25 cup applesauce unsweetened
- .75 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray muffin pans with nonstick spray or line with paper liners.
- Use a clean coffee grinder to roughly grind the flax seeds, trying not to process them into a mealy texture. (You can use pre-ground flax if that's what you have on hand.)
- Wash and dry the blueberries
- In a small bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk, and let stand at room temperature for five minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix with a fork to blend and set aside.
- In a large bowl and using a hand mixer, beat the egg, applesauce, brown sugar at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Blend in the oat-buttermilk mixture.
- Stir in the flour mixture only to combine, try not to overwork the mixture.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and top with a sprinkle of flax seed.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Calories: 139.1
- Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.1 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g