- 1 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- .5 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 cups onions diced
- 6 cups water
- 4 carrots diced
- .5 tsp tumeric
- 4 potatoes medium sized, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups savoy cabbage finely shredded
- 2 cups collard greens finaly shredded
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Heat oil in a stockpot. Cook cumin and mustard seeds for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add diced onions and sauté until golden and soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add water, carrots, turmeric, potatoes, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Add cabbage and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Add shredded collards and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir enough to break up some of the potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne, if desired.
- Calories: 103
- Sodium: 420 mg
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 3 g